Taken hold of “that for which also I was taken hold of by Christ Jesus” (v. 12c). He suffered hunger, thirst, cold, and nakedness (2 Corinthians 11:23-27). ESV English Standard Version. It is “that for which also I was taken hold of by Christ Jesus” (v. 12c). King James Version (KJV) < Previous Verse. Have a wonderfully blessed, stress-free, productive, and joyful day! If the early church had required male Gentile converts to be circumcised, that would have been a stopper for many men. “or am already made perfect” (teteleiomai––from teleioo) (v. 12b). • “For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:22). They exerted leadership to bring their nation into compliance with God’s will. Note the contrast between the word “loss” in verse 8c and the word “gain” in this portion of the verse. There is no “I do” in the Greek text. Yet, to remain in the flesh is more needful for your sake” (1:21-24). Paul contrasts the righteousness that is from Jewish law with the righteousness that is from God: • The kind of righteousness that is from Jewish law is a “righteousness of my own”––a personal achievement by the individual by virtue of adherence to Godly standards. Such invitations would inspire envy when awarded to someone else––and joy when awarded to oneself. In his letter to the Galatian church, he said, “I advanced in the Jews’ religion beyond many of my own age among my countrymen, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers” (Galatians 1:14). A “leaning forward” posture will contribute to the win. When Paul accepted Christ, he started the process of obtaining all these things––but that process will not be complete until Christ transforms Paul’s death into resurrection. The uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his people. “of the stock of Israel” (v. 5b). KJV, Vest Pocket New Testament & Psalms, Leathersoft, Black, Red Letter Version: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Reference Bible, Personal Size Giant Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Baby's First Bible, Hardcover, Multicolor: A special keepsake for your new arrival, KJV, Value Thinline Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, The King James Study Bible, Red Letter, Full-Color Edition: Holy Bible, King James Version, KJV, Journal the Word Bible, Large Print, Red Letter Edition: Reflect, Journal, or Create Art Next to Your Favorite Verses. Saul (Paul’s name before he became a Christian) was a Pharisee. When the northern tribes formed their own alliance after Solomon’s death, Benjamin remained allied with Judah. No, most of us will never establish a new church. We sometimes treat faith and works as if they are somehow opposed to one another––but Paul, the chief advocate of salvation by faith––acknowledges “that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't miss our free Thanksgiving email series! Good mothers want to know what is going on in their child’s life––what the child is learning in school––problems that the child is facing––the names of the child’s friends and something about their character––physical ailments that might hold the child back––everything. Paul applies those principles here. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,” Explanation and Commentary of Philippians 3:13. Gaventa, Beverly R., in Cousar, Charles B., Gaventa, Beverly R., McCann, J. Clinton, and Newsome, James D., Texts for Teaching: A Lectionary Commentary Based on the NRSV–Year C (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 1994), Craddock, Fred B., Interpretation: Philippians (Atlanta: John Knox Press, 1985), Dunham, Maxie D., The Preacher’s Commentary: Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Philemon (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1982), Fee, Gordon D., The New International Commentary on the New Testament: Paul’s Letters to the Philippians (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1995), Hansen, G. Walter, The Pillar New Testament Commentary: The Letter to the Philippians (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2009), Hawthorne, Gerald F., Word Biblical Commentary: Philippians, Vol. (ed. It is a gift of God (Romans 3:24; 5:16; 6:23). This word koinonia is familiar to many Christians today––even those who have no training in the Greek language. Yesterday is out of reach. While astonished at the prospect of being a king, she accepted the honor. Paul, however, had no need for anyone to bring him inside the circle. He forgets those things which are behind; that is, not, as some explain, his Jewish privileges and distinctions, but that part of his Christian race already past. according to the working by which he is able even In any event, Paul’s laser-sharp focus on “one thing” in this verse fits nicely with the ease with which he counted everything as “loss for Christ” (v. 7)––and his pressing on to “take hold of that for which also I was taken hold of by Christ Jesus” (v. 12).