It is very sweet with high residual sugar and has virtually zero sharpness or bitterness. It is reliant on the soil and the climate. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. As its namesake indicates, it’s definitely a beverage for winter holidays, laced as it is with cinnamon, vanilla, and a touch of maple syrup…not sessionable, but imparts some relatively subtle spice notes and a tiny bit of lingering heat from the cinnamon. The bottom line is that it could not be made anyplace else. Prime members enjoy fast & free shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video and many more exclusive benefits. It’s simply a fact of what we do – and how we do it. Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. After 1 or 2 the taste doesn't matter lol, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 September 2018. CLICK HERE TO SEE A VIDEO OF ALMAR ORCHARDS. ( Log Out /  Orchard Gate Gold is sold for around $8.99 and weighs in at 6% ABV. What I’d call a dessert cider. Bits of yeast and lees float in the bottle. Higher abv would actually help in this case, since at the end of the day this is a warming beverage for sipping, not a cider for quaffing…in fact, if you’re going to take an apple beverage this far down the spicy winter warmer route, I feel that, if you have access to the materials, you might as well go all out and make a big, gnarly, 10-15%-ish New England style cider with raisins and maple and then age it in an oak barrel (perhaps a rum barrel in this case) for a while, or blend Calvados with apple juice and spices and barrel age that to make yourself a wintery Pommeaux. As the label implies, their ciders resemble ‘scrumpy’ ciders from England in that they’re produced in small batches using traditional methods. The apples are 100% grown in our Michigan orchard. ( Log Out /  Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 27 December 2018, very good cider,really good with pork,obviously, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 September 2017, Gets me nicely drunk. I just picked up a copy, whereupon I also realized that, at 766 pages of hardback heft, it doubles as a weapon…. Like other JK Scrumpy ciders–such as Orchard Gate Gold and Northern Neighbor–Winterruption packs a ton of sweetness. Keep them cold and drink. Using integrated pest management the Koan family grows over 30 apple cultivars on their 500 acre farm. As a sentiment to the terrior and craft nature of J.K.’s Scrumpy Cider Jim Koan proclaims: “I consider Orchard Gate Gold as a unique Artisan Michigan Farmhouse Cider, somewhere between English Scrumpy and a Normandy Cidre. This week’s review will cover their flagship cider known as Orchard Gold Gate. Rather, I do what my grandfather did. By the way, if you want to learn more about Pommeaux or Calvados, this epic tome by Charles Neal is a wealth of information on the subject. But I digress. Your email address will not be published. The booziness distinctly pulls through and complements the nearly overbearing sweetness. This page works best with JavaScript. We use no insecticides in the farm orchards. Open a bottle and decide for yourself! As a result, the sweetness started out as desirable (ooh, dessert-y and spicy!) Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 15 October 2018. It always has been. This weeks cider review comes from Flushing Michigan’s finest: Almar Orchards. Copyright © 2020 | MH Corporate basic by MH Themes, How To Bottle With The Blichmann Beer Gun. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 26 July 2018, Scrumpy always reminds me of Somerset, a real strong country taste, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 7 September 2019, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 8 January 2018. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Not much as changed in the process since then. We are proud of that. 6% ABV. The slight bubliness adds a pleasant mouth feel that also supports and balances the high sweetness. Bits of yeast and lees float in the bottle. JK'S Organic Scrumpy is slowly fermented from organic apples and natural yeast. It is reliant on the soil and the climate. Fallen apples that have hit the ground are always a food source for pests, so I let my Berkshire pigs wander the orchard and eat the fallen apples. But, whereas the others bring enough bitterness (Orchard Gate Gold) or wild apple character (Northern Neighbor) to the mix to at least partially offset that sweetness, in Winterruption the cloying combination of syrupy, maple-boosted sweetness and dessert-like spice notes serves to mask the apple flavors and acidity that would otherwise help to balance things out. This weeks cider review comes from Flushing Michigan’s finest: ... Orchard Gate Gold and the rest of the J.K.’s Scrumpy cider line are readily available throughout MI and can be found in 17 other states. In a fast-paced, instant gratification society all this may seem a little old fashioned, or not “cost-effective.” But, we have a cider that is not like any other, and the idea of playing around with what makes that happen… well, it just ain’t part of the plan.”. In this review Herr Pink tries some J.K.'s Scrumpy hard cider. Thought this may be better than Bulmers, we make Scrumpy in Devon but not a weak as this stuff!!!!!!!!!!! To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Not as tasty as I was expecting to be honest. You can edit your question or post anyway. A rather watery affair. ( Log Out /  Scrumpy Jack Original Cider Can 500 ml (Case of 4), See all details for Scrumpy Jack Original Cider Can 500 ml (Case of 4), © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Approved third parties also use these tools in connection with our display of ads. I consider Orchard Gate Gold as a unique Artisan Michigan Farmhouse Cider, somewhere between English Scrumpy and a Normandy Cidre. Upon pouring the cider is hazy and lacks clarity. They bottle various ciders including their Northern Neighbor Saskatoon Cuvee and J.K.’s Cuvee Winteruption (both of which will be looked at in upcoming reviews).