They may not reach adulthood until 6 or 7 years of age and may live more than 10 years. show "The Deadliest Catch"), queen crab or tanner crab, depending on which area of the map you are from. Eat 'em. Females have high reproductive potential and may produce up to several hundreds of thousands of eggs per year. As for why they seem to catch pots full of either big males (keepers!!) I didn’t realize what a ‘cult’ is growing around this show. As with many species snow crab production is cyclical. [5], In 1996, they were recorded in the Barents Sea for the first time. [9], Snow crabs have a very high reproductive potential; each year, every female carries eggs. The type locality is Greenland.[14]. Tanners are “true” crabs with four pairs of walking legs and one pair of pincers. Purchased canned seafood products and ate salmon BBQ while up there. Also salty in my opinion. The snow crabs are slaughtered by hand in the most humane way possible, whereby the head is separated from the shoulders and legs with a single, hard blow, killing the crab instantly. Plus, you'll find a lot of great snow crab recipes here as well. strange. How much do the greenhorns get? I am wrapping up an oceanography course and have two papers write, after watching the two day marathon of the show I decided to write my papers on the show it’s self and the opilio crab and just cant get enough. Hiyas ! Some products are sent to China for further processing. The Zuwaigani crab is caught in the Sea of Japan, the Sea of Okhotsk, Canada and so on, while Beni Zuwaigani is caught in the Sea of Japan, North Korea, Russia and so on. Hope that helps. With this said, they are still relatively smaller than the Alaskan King Crab. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Give me a tub of Hot melted Butter and I could eat your entire catch below in the holding tanks. It is a well-known commercial species of Chionoecetes, often caught with traps or by trawling. The market name of snow crab applies to four species, the Latin names of which are listed above. Visited there May-June 2008. These are often considered "a bargain" because people incorrectly assume that the meat of these crabs are less tasty. Chionoecetes opilio, is a species of snow crab, also known as opilio crab or opies, is a predominantly epifaunal crustacean native to shelf depths in the northwest Atlantic Ocean and north Pacific Ocean. It’s by far the most abundant snow crab and it’s not even close. There are four species of Snow Crab, two species in the Alaskan water, the Chinonocecetes opilio and the C.bairdi. how do you avoid catching king crabs when you fish for opilio? The clusters are sent on to production, where they are cooked in fresh water. Are Opilio and Tanner and *B*airdi (did someone use an *h* by mistake when identifying this species) one and the same crab?? [2] Snow crabs also have little granules along the border of their bodies, except their intestinal region.