You know assassin, bodyguard business, all these different things, but they weren't true. For people who were too young to remember the scandal, it’s hard for them to understand that there was no internet in 1994. “This is f-cking rigged.” In reality, according to Harding’s comments in The Price of Gold, Harding told them, “Stay out of my face.” But the documentary does confirm the drama over costumes, recalling an incident in which a judge threatened to kick Harding out of a competition for wearing a pink costume she had sewn herself. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our. She wouldn’t do that, which I admire. I thought he was doing it because he was 400 pounds, he lived in his parent’s basement, and he was lonesome. I remember seeing her skate. “Suck my d-ck,” she tells them after one competition. He's moved on. People might think it was over the top, but then at the end of the movie you can see the real people talking. But you know truth, or I should say nonfiction, doesn’t have to make sense, but fiction does have to make sense. Figure Skating Championships. Eckardt plays an important role in the movie I, Tonya, and that's because he played a big part in the investigation that followed Kerrigan's assault. Up until that point, cable news even tried to play it straight. I was known as just one thing, as a guy who wrote romantic comedies, which studios were rapidly deciding not to make. And the Menendez brothers and Amy Fisher and all of those stories that the media ran with. I just haven't found what it is yet. In real life, Harding alleged that Gillooly beat her, while family and friends told reporters that her mother, LaVona Golden, was violent. And he's saying the things that we quote in the movie. The stars are shining on America's service members, past and present, this Veterans Day. “I told them if you can come up with $5,000 for a costume for me, then I won’t have to make it,” she explained. The latter was released four months early, in September 1995, and he went on to open up a computer business in 2001, according to The New York Times. "I, Tonya" (out now on Digital HD, on Blu-ray and DVD March 13th) is a fierce indie movie, fueled by a great screenplay by writer Steven Rogers, has become both an award winner and a huge hit. Toward the end of I, Tonya, Eckhardt’s character says he made the death threat to set off the events that led to the attack on Kerrigan. Harding's "bodyguard" Shawn Eckhardt claimed he oversaw an international special operations force and his delusions of espionage played a huge part in the assault on Kerrigan. It's insane.]. The movie includes many scenes depicting Harding’s mother both physically and emotionally abusing her. And it’s true, depending on whose point of view you believe. And there were parts that she didn’t love, mainly the things that Jeff said happened. Write to Mahita Gajanan at mahita.gajanan@time.com. Her ex-husband Jeff Gillooly is shown doing much of the same, both before and after they split. “My stomach was in my throat,” Harding says of the moment in the documentary 30 For 30: The Price of Gold. Just six years later in Dec. 2007, Eckardt passed away in Portland, Oregon, at just 40 years old. “He hit me, but she hit me, but they loved me,” Harding says in The Price of Gold. Eckhardt changed his name to Brian Shawn Griffith after the attack, according to a New York Times obituary. As the new movie I, Tonya depicts, he and Harding's ex-husband, Jeff Gillooly, became suspects for the crime, and they both pleaded guilty to racketeering in their attempts to harm Kerrigan.