Be sure to dress in layers. Wear … For the record, I freaking love my North Face Apex Bionic jacket. Okay not the best picture, but if you don’t have winter boots, I have your ultimate solution. Their approach? Before we dive into my list of what to pack for Alaska in the winter, I want to give you a few quick tips about Alaska winter travel. It will make the cold feel colder. That amazing feeling when you step inside, peel off your layers, and the warmth seeps back into your bones. Close your eyes and picture a Winter Wonderland. Even though Alaska may not boast the tropical climate you typically associate with sunburns, it’s still possible to sustain sun damage in the winter. I love this Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Jacket because it fits under the outer layer I recommend (next on the list) but if you prefer, they also have longer parka lengths to add more warmth around your hips and thighs. Your hands will probably be the first part of your body to feel cold, and if your fingers are not protected from the elements, you can risk frostbite. It’s no surprise that Smartwool also makes great hats, gloves, and neck gaiters (a good alternative to a scarf). However, if you can’t lose the dexterity, a good pair of gloves will also do the trick. ✔️ food poisoning and dehydration? Just ask our Alaska Native people, who have been thriving in Alaska's winter season for millennia. Not only does most of your heat escape from the top of your head, but wearing a hat will also protect your ears from frostbite and painful cold-induced earaches. While I love denim as much as the next gal, as a fabric it gets mighty cold when the temp drops below freezing. I also had Mr. V chime in with his recommendation for what men need to pack for Alaska in the winter. Just for those cold California days, ya know? I’m sure you’ve already seen this as part of your research, but to underscore: If you want to stand outside and watch the northern lights or catch a dogsled ride, you need the right equipment – you need to know what to wear in Alaska in the winter! ✔️), I’ve recently become a convert to the travel insurance thing. It's true - your own gear is always the most comfortable. It's no secret - Alaska is awesome in winter. But they still work! After a couple harrowing medical issues abroad (random allergic reaction? “YOU ARE GOING TO FREEZE, IT’S SO COLD.” We kinda just pushed … Unlike synthetic fibers, wool and cashmere actually retain heat when they get wet, which is perfect if you are planning an outdoor activity that might cause you to sweat. Instead, I layer up with Uniqlo leggings for women. And guests who thirst for adventure will find a stunning winter wonderland unlike any other in the world. A Winter Environment Loved by Alaskans for Thousands of Years. All rights reserved. I personally love their Merino 250 blend because it’s soft and ultra warm. I hope your daughter finds it helpful! Wear great clothes suited to the environment. Thanks for reading and sharing, Barbara! Similar to the socks, I pretty much spent whole seasons living in my Smartwool base layer… so much that I actually wore holes into them! What you need to pack for Alaska in the winter is on par with packing for Iceland, Norway, or parts of northern Canada. Layers are key to a great Alaska experience almost any time of year, but especially in winter. If you’re not able to find boots that go past the ankle, consider a pair of gaiters to protect your legs. Seriously, I can’t rave about this as a life jacket enough. Actually, I wore these socks growing up in Alaska and during bitterly cold Midwest winters in Iowa during college. Winter temperatures in the region might occasionally seem daunting but because it is a still, dry cold the weather is quite manageable. A good pair of winter boots is vital in Alaska. I’ll be honest: I’ve had my own snow pants since at least high school. These tips will help you stay warm and cozy during your stay. These Burton mittens are a great option, with clips and pockets plus a cinch above the wrist to cut down on any cold breezes getting up in your sleeves. Continue reading for a complete list of what to wear in Alaska in winter: One of the most effective ways to stay warm in cold climates is by layering. Book your trip and warm up with us during your stay in Anchorage! A Winter Environment Loved by Alaskans for Thousands of Years. It's no secret - Alaska is awesome in winter. My daughter’s International Rescue and Relief program from Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska, is spending the Spring semester in Alaska (instead of Malawi). Gaiters are essentially tall, waterproof protectors that go over your boots and over your pants, protecting your legs and ankles from the cold. I recommend this jacket for the your outer layer because it cuts the wind without making you look like a Stay Puft marshmallow person. What you need to pack for Alaska in the winter … Fashion matters, even at 20 below! We are pleased to offer our guests gear that is Alaska tough and field-tested on our cold weather tours. I’ve been sending her your lists and info. Close your eyes and picture a Winter Wonderland. © Coast Hotels Limited. Please … Look for boots that are waterproof, insulated, and the right size. Including an exterior wind-breaking layer is also essential, since it will keep the wind off you and, therefore, keep you warmer. Smart layering is more effective than simply piling on the clothes. Invest in a good pair of gloves or mittens to protect your hands. If you want to stand outside and watch the northern lights or catch a dogsled ride, you need the right equipment – you need to know what to wear in Alaska in the winter!. © Copyright 2020, Salmon Berry Travel & Tours, LLC, here's a good list from Backpacker Magazine. In fact, in many cases, the sun glare off the snow can make it easier to get sunburned. I don’t think I can be a real Alaskan and not have at least two pair of these over-the-calf Smartwool socks in my wardrobe at all times. What's in between those layers is really up to you, but here's a good list from Backpacker Magazine to get you started. If you plan to step in deeper snow, consider these taller ones. Barb Cherry Just ask our Alaska Native people, who have been thriving in Alaska's winter season for millennia. Thanks The aurora dancing above a snowy field. If you don’t think you will be using your hands a lot outside, opt for mittens over gloves. (A real concern!). Similar to the snow pants above, I recommend snowboarding mittens as your outer layer on your hands. Don't worry! Dressing properly allows visitors to engage in fantastic activities like … January 25, 2018. These are ‘Norwegian after-ski’ boots sold by Pia’s in downtown Anchorage, and you should buy them on your first day. That’s moderately gross, but goes to show how well they work at keeping you warm – and how comfortable they are! I recommend choosing dark colors like this grey and black beanie, black liner gloves, and this matchy-matchy gaiter so you can find any of them if you drop them in the snow. I’m not sure how many professors and students are going, but I’m sure they could all benefit from your guidance.